Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Watch them wiggle, See them jiggle....

Does anybody else remember that old Jello commercial? I haven't eaten Jello in years, but it's what's for breakfast (probably lunch and dinner too!) after one has had a Sleeve Gastrectomy.  So, Monday went well! Dr. Diaz was pleased and even spoke of sending me home on Tuesday, BUT...no dice.  I am pretty wiped from the anesthesia and pain meds. Starting last evening, I began having quite a bit of nausea.  I am waiting right now for the nurse to come in and start some meds for it.

I thought today I would give everyone a little more insight into exactly what kind of procedure I had yesterday.  It is called "Sleeve Gastrectomy."  Here's a visual for you:

"A non-reversible procedure, gastric sleeve surgery is performed under general anesthesia and takes about one to two hours. Afterward you will probably stay in the hospital for one or two days; recovery from gastric sleeve surgery may last a few weeks.

Following surgery, you will need to become re-accustomed to eating solid foods. Normally this starts with two weeks on a liquid-only diet, two weeks of semi-solid, pureed foods and then solids.
As far as weight loss goes, most people who have gastric sleeve surgery lose 50 to 80 percent of their excess body weight over the first six months to one year after surgery. Studies have shown that after the gastric sleeve resection procedure people show improvement in diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea within one to two years. These improvements are comparable with those seen after other weight loss surgeries."

So, before going in for surgery on Monday, Dr. Diaz came in to speak with me.  He was talking about how long the procedure has been around and the success rate of it.  He had just been to a conference and said it was all good news about the sleeve.  Can't wait to experience those benefits!!

So my stomach has gone from approximately the size of a football to the size of a ping pong ball....everything I "eat" is measured by volume.  I can have two ounces of "food" at a time as that's all my new stomach can hold.  Right now, I am getting jello, an ounce of juice, and or broth.  I never realized how delicious chicken broth could taste!! It is definitely my favorite as everything else tastes so sweet!

Hopefully, I will be able to get home at some point today, but I have been experiencing a lot of nausea, so they just started some meds for that. Pain-wise, I feel good, just a little sore.  I was able to take a shower this morning and get my own jammies on...that just makes everything better somehow!!

Peace,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment