Saturday, August 4, 2012

Top Ten List

Well, Monday is the big day....I go back to work! I am actually more than ready.  I feel great...no twinges of pain for several days now and I have worked my way up to 40 to 45 minute walks every day.  We have managed to stay really busy this week, so I thought I would write down my "Top Ten Things I have Learned About Myself Since My Surgery" List (some of them I already "knew," but have been reminded of since surgery and being home for the last three week:)

1. I do not enjoy being nauseous, at all! Since my surgery, I have seemed to stay a tad bit nauseous.  It's annoying.

2. I love my children, but they live to annoy one another and argue with each other. When Davison was born six years after Austin, I prayed they would somehow grow to know and love each other despite the many years between them. I can remember someone telling me that they would never be close.....well, they know each other, I think they love each other, and I'm hoping that some of the behaviors they exhibit toward one other indicates some strange male form of being close.

3. I do not consider two ounces of sugar free jello or pudding a meal.  I do not even like jello and pudding can be a nice treat, but not one I would normally choose to indulge in.  Neither one of these items contains any nutritional value whatsoever and I choose not to consider eating a bit of either one of these items "a meal."

4. I can't drink juice.  Well, I CAN drink juice.....it's on my list of things I can drink between "meals," but I have learned it's just not a good idea for me to do so.  Some of you have asked me about "dumping syndrome"....well, I think I've experienced this lovely syndrome after indulging in some delicious cranberry or apple juice.  It will be strictly water and protein drinks at work.  You're welcome:)

5. Dennis and I need new friends.  When we first moved into the house where we currently live, we made friends with everyone on our street, eventually becoming close friends with several couples in our neighborhood who had children of similar ages.  We spent lots of time with these friends and it seemed we always had something to do.  This group of friends has "dispersed" and I am recognizing that we just don't really have much to do as a family with other families. *sigh*

6. Some of the things I used to LOVE to eat, I no longer have a craving for.  If you know me at all, you know I LOVE sweets!!  Oh, and I did not discriminate....cake, cookies, ice cream....you name it, I would join right in on some yummy dessert....now, it just doesn't really sound good.  I sure hope this effect of surgery lasts!

7. I can still cook!  I really love to cook and bake.  One of my biggest concerns before surgery was that I would no longer enjoy/be able to cook for my family.  Well, I can!  It started with a grilled cheese sandwich for Davison and has moved on from there with spaghetti sauce, sloppy joes, and pulled pork.  No baking yet, but I'm sure that will come at least by Davison's birthday:)

8. My house needs spruced up.  Over the last two or three years, I just haven't felt well.  I think the fibromyalgia really got me down and the weight kept coming on and I just checked out for awhile.  Well, my home has suffered.  Paint on the walls needs touched up and the whole place needs a good cleaning!  There are just little projects here and there that need to be caught up.  Looks like we will be busy this fall:)

9. I love to walk!  There was a time in my life that I woke every every morning before Dennis went to work to walk.  At that time, I had a friend (hi Jacki!:) who got up with me and walked....we walked rain, cold, you name it.  Knowing Jacki was going to be waiting on me to walk got me up out of the bed to do so.  Well, Jacki moved on to running and eventually left the neighborhood and I just didn't keep getting up to walk by myself.  Now that I am back at it, I really love it!  I am looking forward to getting back to the gym and the eliptical....I love that machine!  I am also patiently waiting for those arm exercises my brother promised to send me....trying to avoid the saggy arm skin.

10. My endurance is not so good.  While I'm ready to get back to work to get into a more normal routine and out of the house more, I'm a little concerned about making it through those twelve and a half hour shifts!  Those 40 minute walks in the heat kick my butt and I'm ready to hit the hay by about 8pm.....I'm a little worried about how things are going to go once I'm back at work.  I really don't want to have to sleep away my days off to recover, but I guess that just may be the case for awhile.

Peace,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment