Saturday, August 18, 2012

Like, Totally Awesome!!


The older I get and the more comfortable in my own skin I become, I really enjoy spending time with "me." I mean, I can just really crack myself up! For instance, last night I was driving home from work....I got off a few minutes early in anticipation of taking Austin and some of his friends out for his 16th birthday....when I came to a red light.  Well, the lighting was just right to see those pesky hairs that insist on growing out of my chin....oh come on...you know you have them too!!  Anyway, I decided to take the opportunity to pluck them out.  Then, I decided to deal with that pesky little zit at the base of my nose that had been bothering me ALL DAY. Next up, a little touch of face powder...it was a very long red light!...at this point, I caught the eye of the driver in front of me...a white haired lady driving a pretty red Cadillac. Seems I had an audience, so....I applied my face powder with a little extra bit of drama and flair. I'm sure she didn't even really notice the extra swirls of the the powder brush as I "powdered my nose," but I sure did get a kick out of it....all alone....in my car:)

So, I had my follow up visit with Dr. Diaz and the nutritionist on Thursday, exactly one month since my surgery.  All is well! My official weight loss per their scale since surgery is 37 pounds.  The nutritionist said that they would normally see about a half pound to a pound a day loss during that first month.  Of course, she let me know I would not be losing 37 pounds next month...bummer.  I didn't really expect that I would, but wouldn't that be awesome??  So, she went through how much fluid I'm getting in every day, how much protein I'm getting, and so on.  She asked if I had any bad taste in my mouth, "YES! What is that??" Ketosis.  Here is some info I found on Ketosis:

A lot of people are confused by the term "ketosis." You may read that it is a "dangerous state" for the body, and it does sound abnormal to be "in ketosis." But ketosis merely means that our bodies are using fat for energy. Ketones (also called ketone bodies) are molecules generated during fat metabolism, whether from the fat in the guacamole you just ate or fat you were carrying around your middle. When our bodies are breaking down fat for energy, most of the it gets converted more or less directly to ATP. (Remember high school biology? This is the "energy molecule.") But ketones are also produced as part of the process.

When people eat less carbohydrate, their bodies turn to fat for energy, so it makes sense that more ketones are generated. Some of those ketones (acetoacetate and ß-hydroxybutyrate) are used for energy; the heart muscle and kidneys, for example, prefer ketones to glucose. Most cells, including the brain cells, are able to use ketones for at least part of their energy. But there is one type of ketone molecule, called acetone, that cannot be used and is excreted as waste, mostly in the urine and breath (sometimes causing a distinct breath odor). aha! That's what I have!

There is an assumption that if a body is burning a lot of fat for energy, it must not be getting "enough" glucose. However, there is no indication, from studying people on reduced carbohydrate diets, that this is the case (though there is usually a short period of adjustment -- less than a week, in most cases). Although it's true that our bodies can't break fat down into glucose (though, interestingly, they easily use glucose to make fat), our bodies can convert some of the protein we eat into glucose. Indeed, this works well for people who don't tolerate a lot of sugar, because this conversion happens slowly so it doesn't spike blood glucose.

A dangerous condition called ketoacidosis can develop in those with type 1 diabetes, and it is sometimes confused with normal ketosis. The body usually avoids this state by producing insulin, but people with type 1 diabetes are unable to produce insulin. Even most people with type 2 diabetes who inject insulin usually produce enough insulin of their own to prevent ketoacidosis.

Isn't that a kick in the pants?? Our bodies can't break fat down into glucose, but they can easily use glucose to make fat? What a rip off!! I am a little more confused after reading this, however, as the answer to ketosis per my nutritionist is to drink 8oz of pure fruit juice three times a day.  Think I will need to check into this just a bit more. If it's not dangerous, then maybe I don't need all of that juice.  But then, do I really want that awful taste in my mouth and God only knows what that must smell like to other people......So beware, if you are going to diet and exercise, thus burning fat for fuel, you are going to stink to high heaven!!  So motivating, isn't it?

Well, I may be spreading out reporting on my weigh in days.  The way the nutritionist explained it to me, I will no longer see daily changes in my weight, rather I will notice my weight staying the same (or even going up...NO!) day after day. She said that I will then suddenly notice that I have dropped, like, five pounds...yay! (Yes, "like" five pounds, I'm a child of the 80s!)  I will keep you posted.  Still haven't missed a day of walking, but my walks on the days that I work do tend to be significantly shorter.  Dr. Diaz released me to go back to work (its a good thing:) and to go to the gym.  He said, "Not only can you go to the gym, you SHOULD be going to the gym." Watch out flabby hangy down upper arm stuff!!

Alright, heading back out to watch the littlest man play football.  Enjoy your weekend!

Peace,
K


No comments:

Post a Comment