Monday, September 3, 2012

Time to ZIPLINE!!

Happy Labor Day!
I'm super happy on this Labor Day, as I am not working!! Yay! We don't have anything planned really....the rain has put a bit of a damper on any outside activities, so we are currently hunkered down inside.  Seriously considering my first day back in the gym, though.  Hopefully we will come up with something else to do, as well.

When I went to my pre-surgery class at St. Vincent's, one of the things that they told us was to set up certain points at which we would reward ourselves for our weightloss....something that WAS NOT food:)  I set up two rewards (I know, lame), one at 50 pounds lost and one at 100 pounds lost....I'm just not that creative, I guess.  Any ideas to add more rewards in for myself? If you know me, you know that I am all about celebrating:)

So, the good news today is that I have reached my first "reward goal!"  When I stepped on the scale this morning, I was SO happy to see that I have now officially lost 52 pounds!  The "reward" that I set for myself for a 50 pound loss was to go ziplining.  I'm super excited to do something that I haven't had the nerve to try before.  Anyone want to join me?  I'm thinking Brown County...the leaves should be starting to change soon...

Over the years, I I have dreamt of flying....a lot, although over the past few years these have slowed quite a bit.  Dreaming of flying has always been a strangly pleasant experience.  Maybe because of the whole being "weightless" thing:)  I was thinking about these dreams while considering the ziplining reward and decided to do a little research on what dreams about flying might mean.  This is what I found:


At one time or another, most people will have a dreamed about flying. In fact, flying dreams are one of the most commonly reported dream experiences. They can also be one of the most exciting dreams.
Flying dreams and the ability to control flight represent the dreamer’s personal sense of power. Many dreamers describe the ability to fly as exhilarating, joyful, and liberating. And they leave the dreamer with a great sense of freedom and feelings that they have no boundaries about what they can accomplish.

Wilkerson says that some of these explanations include Freud's idea that flying dreams reconstruct the joy of being tossed around as a child by adults; Alan Hobson's theory that it is the result of neuron firings from the brain stem; and Walter Bonime's thought that it represents the person's desire to flee responsibility and limitations of nature.
 
"In flying dreams, people are most likely flying away from danger, flying to make new discovery, or flying to demonstrate new skill," said Tahnee Kinsman, sleep researcher for the Australian Institute of Sport.

“The limitations of dream flight and its relationship to psychological limitations are open to interpretation,” said Kinsman. However, he indicated that flying dreams typically reflect an individual’s personality, behavior, and psychological patterns.
Flying with ease and enjoying the scene and landscape below suggests being on top of a situation or rising above something, according to DreamMoods.com. It may also mean the dreamer is trying to get a different perspective on a problem.

Difficulty staying in flight indicates a lack of control in a situation—especially if the dreamer is struggling to stay aloft and on course, DreamMoods.com indicates. Things like power lines, trees, or mountains may further obstruct flight, and probably represent a particular obstacle or person who is standing in the way in waking life. However, it may also indicate the dreamer’s lack of confidence. Further, fear of flying or flying too high suggests fear of challenges and success.

“Whatever the flying dream, the timing of the dream is likely to signify mental recovery and the realization of a learning experience,” Kinsman explained, adding, “They usually follow episodes of depression or intense periods in your life. Even when the dream flight is to escape danger it shows that an individual’s psychological state is improving, demonstrating that he or she has found a solution and are dealing with a change in life.”
 

 
Crazy stuff!  Who knows why we have dreams of flying, but I rather like the part where it says "they leave the dreamer with a great sense of freedom and feelings that they have no boundaries about what they can accomplish."  I want that feeling all of the time!! I'm hoping that as I continue to work on improving my inner self, losing weight, exercising, and trusting that God has a plan beyond my understanding for my life, that I will experience that sense of freedom and a life without boundaries more and more!!  I'm ready to FLY people!!

Have a blessed holiday (if you are lucky enough to have the day off work) with your families/friends....isn't that what this life is all about??

Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment